As part of Big Green Week, Chris spoke this week alongside Kevin McCloud at the Smart homes event. His talk titled "A Cheats Guide to Plotfinding" took the form of a lighthearted slideshow featuring a walk from home to work in Stokes Croft, looking out for building site opportunities on the way.
Event description and timetable:
A unique opportunity to meet Kevin McCloud and a panel of sustainable building experts at this event designed for anyone interested in community development, self-build or renewable energy.
Housing is Bristol’s number 1 priority, and top of the list for the new city Mayor. In addition to reaching a target of 2000 per year, 800 of which are “affordable”, we need to make sure that we build communities rather than just housing. With land at a premium, fuel prices on the increase, and green space under threat, how can Bristol meet its housing needs whilst tackling inequality, climate change and resilience at the same time?
- Introduction to Smart Living – Daren Hall, Director Love the Future
- Developing our heritage; a new future for Bristol’s old buildings – Stephen Beggs, Curtins
- The cheat’s guide to plot finding – Chris Askew, Architect
- Is affordable housing a misnomer? Keith Cowling, Chair of the Bristol Community Land Trust
- The Art of Retrofitting. What measures can I take to save heat-loss that wont spoil the look of my homes special features? Mukti Mitchell, Cosyhomes
- Beyond the Boiler: how localised smart energy systems will connect you to your community, your own home and yourself. Toby Parker, Sustain
- Homes not houses: the next generation of net energy positive community development – Kevin McCloud & Mike Roberts of HAB Housing
Followed by drinks & networking
Advance tickets: £10 / Door: £12.50